COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Antibody Testing
Antibodies are proteins that part of our immune system to fight infections in the body. There are several kinds of antibodies but the main ones that are important for infections are IgM and IgG. IgM is one of the first responder antibodies when your body is first infected. IgG plays a role later on in the course of the infection. Looking at both of these antibodies together, we can look at whether someone has had a recent infection or past exposure.
Testing for antibodies to COVID-19 might help identify people who could have been exposed or impacted by the virus (whether they knew it or not) and then later recovered. It is not entirely clear, at this point, if having an IgG antibody is an indicator of long term immunity to COVID-19; more research is needed.
COVID-19 testing with Boost:
- All COVID-19 tests through Boost are completed in the comfort of your home
- A COVID consult is required before ordering tests unless you are already a Boost patient.
- If you are a Boost patient or completed a COVID consult, you have access to unlimited ordering of tests with additional test fees.
- COVID consults are telemedicine appointments done online
- The three tests below are available:
1. Instant Antibody Test
- Simple finger prick blood draw, which can be done from the comfort of your home
- Can be done with a quick 15-minute telemedicine consultation
- Results within 8-10 minutes
2. RT-PCR Testing
- The gold standard of covid testing:
- Reverse transcriptase real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) is a nasopharyngeal swab test that processes cells from the inside of the nose, and then analyzes them for the coronavirus’s genetic material (viral RNA).
- This viral RNA is processed with enzymes that make numerous copies of the viral RNA. This amplification process allows detection of as few as 3-10 copies of the virus.
- Test is done in the comfort of your home and mailed to Wild Health labs for results
3. Serologic Antibody Testing
- As part of a testing regimen, serologic testing is an important tool.
- Used to identify individuals exposed to the coronavirus that have developed an immune response in the form of IgG and IgM antibodies in the blood.
- Test can be done in the comfort of your home and mailed to Wild Health labs for results.
- The Instant antibody test has not been approved by the FDA
- This product is for in vitro diagnostic use only, both CE approved and following guidance from the FDA for Emergency Use Authorizations of tests submitted for approval on March 16, 2020.
If you would like to get more information about COVID testing, please send us an email. Or you can schedule a COVID consult.
Schedule a COVID Consult